Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Rat Race

I've been chastised many times for not joining in. I've never seen the point, I never got it, maybe I'm fucked, or maybe I see things clearly.

Some people spend their lives building monuments to themselves, desiring to leave their mark, monuments the next generation will just tear down and shit apon anyway, never remembering or giving a fuck who slaved over them.

Or aquiring fortunes, fortunes they can leave to their children, and generations after them. So they can squander it. Some will use it wisely, but most will stick their dick in a gift horses mouth, it's human nature.

Do they really think the next generation will look at their old faded pictures with reverence?

I'm a grain of sand among billions in human history, no one will remember me in generations to come, and I could give a shit.

Death is the great equalizer, we all go to the same place, the dirt. It's not a negative perspective, it's a liberating one really. It aleviates a lot of the stress of life. We only have today, and our experiences really.

During the months that I'm working, I only worry about the coming winter, I save my money for the most part in the summer. I relax and enjoy my free time in the winter, writing drivel like this, or doing some of the other things I enjoy, then it's back to work.

We pay taxes like everyone else, so spare me the shit about the next generation taking care of us, we don't count on them, we live in today.

I know there are those of us who piss everything away, fools, they're the same no matter what they're doing.

As for me, I'm not going to waste my valuable time, full of self importance, leaving my mark on the world.

I have better things to do, like walking the Midway on a hot summer night.

2 comments:

alerted=yes said...

"Some people spend their lives building monuments to themselves, desiring to leave their mark, monuments the next generation will just tear down and shit apon anyway, never remembering or giving a fuck who slaved over them."
Perfect.

Are you familiar with the author Chuck Palahniuk?

mc

Who Cares said...

No, sorry, I'm not, is he good? Maybe I'll check him out.