Monday, April 03, 2006

The Next Town

If I had to pick my favorite part of being a Carny it would have to be the jump to the next spot. There is no where in the world I would rather be!
Even though I have been to that city countless times over the years I love the anticipation. It's like being a drug addict. The high is never really the point. It's the anticipation. Addicted to anticipation.
Many years ago when I was young I was having a toke with an old Carny named Pelican in the back of a stock trailer off the Midway of some city I've long since forgotten the name of. I was trying to articulate what I loved most about this life. His face was leathery, smoke swirling around, as he inhaled. He pondered for a second, then looked at me and said: 
"It's blasting down the highway at 3:00 AM kid!" "Coming from nowhere and really going nowhere!" "No bullshit to worry about!" "Just living in the moment!"
He was right. It's what I love most.
Sure a lot will be the same at the next spot as the last. Working long hours, the crowds, the equipment failures, stress, the Midway. Somehow it will all be different though. It's that constant feeling of "Anything can happen!" And it will happen.
I love the ride to the next spot. Everyone sleeping. The towns rolling by. Watching the lights of the trucks and trailers ahead and the ones in the rear view mirror. I love that I have no real destination. Just stop overs. Back in the trucks and off we go again. There's no better feeling.
True happiness and contentment to me is being in a place where there's no where else you'd rather be.

No comments: