Friday, April 07, 2006

How I Became A Carny

I started around 1980 as a kid, I didn't choose the Carny life, it chose me, I kind of fell into it.

We had a family friend who was a Carny off and on his whole life, he started as a ride jock for Royal American. Him and my Dad were best buddies, they worked together, drank together...etc.

One summer he (My Dad's friend) suggested I go on the road with him for a summer, it would be a good educational experience....and boy was it.

That's how I got into it. I know lots that went looking for it and never liked it, it came looking for me and I loved it. In hind sight it was inevitable. What the hell else was I going to do? All I did in school was stare out the window all fucking day wondering what was out there! He suggested it to my Dad a few times, and my father finally said go.

I was a kid, I was off and running. I got to leave home for the summer, no parents, no bullshit, just the open road....woohoo.

I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like had I never went out that summer and got the traveling bug, but then again, it couldn't have happened any other way....because it didn't.

I've tried other things and never had the staying power, I've been fucked up on dope for years at a time, drunk, whatever, and yet the carny life has always been there for me. Some would say I wasted my life, some have said it. Looking at their pathetic 9 to 5 life with a wife who'd rather be fucking someone else and kids that hate them.....well.....I 'll stick with the Carnies thanks.

I always have a job, and the people I have lived and traveled with are like a second family.

It aint pretty, but it's home.

2 comments:

kim said...

how very right you are

Anonymous said...

I figured I feel ironic right now because I put an ad on CL saying I needed a job and was actually called and offered a job going to new york for the summer May-September. I've never done this work except I was in telemarketing sales and I did good I just quit b/c I didn't like it anymore I done it for a year and I had no experience but I made it by copying the other guys on the call floor. when I go on this leap of faith I hope it turns out positive. I will be running a game not sure which one? I get the bunk house with only one bunk and the shower b/c i'm taking my g/f with me. but I feel really good about it but I am very apprehensive about the whole thing super freakin nervous.