Friday, April 07, 2006

Gypsy The Ride Forewoman

Gypsy was a ride jock and foreman of her ride the "Skydiver" in 1980 when I met her. She'd been on the road since the mid 60's, the only female ride foreman I've ever seen to this very day, never saw another one after her.

She was big for a woman, built big, and tall, not fat. She wasn't ugly, just hard looking. She had a true amazonian stature to her. Gypsy was molded into the character she was by a hard childhood and many years on the road. She was tougher than any feminist I ever met, a lot of men too. I don't think she would have known what the term "feminist" even meant or given a shit. I'm sure the movement of today would love to claim her as their own if they'd known her but she would have squashed any of them. Gypsy was Gypsy, a rugged individualist who just happened to be a woman.

She had a nose that looked like it had been broken a number of times and long thick auburn hair she tied back. Her eyes were a deep and dark green. They would look right through you. A lot of people were intimidated by her. I never was. I was fascinated by her and her strength and stature among Carnies. I was just a kid in those days and would spend the odd break hanging around her ride on the Midway sharing a smoke with her and listening to her curse and yell at her guys. She was always kind to me and just called me "kid".
No one knew her real name and no one really cared about anyones real name anyway. Everyone just called her "Gypsy" and always had. Sometimes I'd hear the older guys talking about how she fucked like an animal and what a hard body she had. She would never fuck any of her own crew guys though. The odd guy she did fuck off another crew she just tossed aside after. Gypsy never had any need for relationships with the opposite or same sex. She wasn't a Lesbian either.
On tear down nights when the Carnival lot was abuzz with so much activity and everybody ripping everything down and packing it up you could hear her yelling and screaming at her guys to "hurry the fuck up, so we can get the fuck out of here!"

I remember I was watching her with her guys one time. They were setting up and she had this green guy bent over pulling on a rope up on the trailer. She was yelling something at him, then she walked to the end of the trailer and kicked him in the ass as he was bent over, it was funny, knocked him right off the trailer into the dirt.

One season she never came back. She left for another job on a ride on a rival show and I never saw her again. She was really something else and one of my heroes on the road when I was a kid.

1 comment:

Bossman said...

After having spent today, my 59th birthday, trying to remember why I ever fell in love with the bright lights and sounds of laughter mixed with the roar of the generators.. The smell of fair foods, diesel fuel and once every now and again the smell of a donniker.. God I love it..

If you were to ask me if I am with it I might stop to think if I am or just at it..

This is a game for yoing people.. The only problem is that you learn the rules of the game late in like..

Thanks for the memories...
Bossman 4/07/06