Wednesday, April 05, 2006

1982

The summer of 1982 I was a kid on the road. I remember it well. The hits on the radio that summer were as follows, (Asia-Heat of The Moment), (Steve Miller Band-Abracadabra), (Paul Mcartneys Wings-Band On The Run) and a few more. I won't bore you with my amazing memory when it comes to music.

I was just a kid and I worked for a guy who had ice cream joints. I ran stock for him. It was a hot summer that year and it was busy for ice cream. That was the year I finally learned to handle a lot of busy joints by myself. Up until that time I always needed help when I got busy, but I finally got it that year. I ran my ass off.

Sometimes I'd be so busy that when it came time for my break my head was spinning and I felt dizzy.

I remember that in those days we still had $1 bills, and because of the yellow light bulbs in the joints because of bugs like moths it was easy to hand out $20 bills as $1 bills and vice versa.

Those damn yellow lights, pain in the ass they were.

Though there were a lot of "firsts" that summer. I'd been smoking weed for awhile now. My buddy John had a black plastic super hit bottle, it looked kinda like a black mustard bottle and had a hole on the side, the joint was stuck in the top with the filter end out, when you put your thumb over the hole on the side and squeezed you really got a blast off that joint.

I can still remember him saying, "hold it in for fuck sakes, you gotta hold it in, don't just cough it out dummy!" He was a few years older than me and a little wiser in the ways of the world than I at that time in our young lives.

I can also remember clearly laying in my bunk, high as a kite late at night after the show was long closed, smiling, and listening to the songs on the radio playing in the dark. I felt great. John and I would talk late into the night about the days happenings, who was an idiot, who had nice tits, who we wished would give us a blow job. We were young and hundreds of miles from home. It was a great time in our young lives. The summer of 82 was a great summer.

Maybe I over romanticize that particular summer at times because John is long gone now and I miss him. I miss those late nights laying in our bunks so long ago, stoned out of our minds, dreaming and talking about our futures while the radio played the hits of 1982 quietly in the background.

We all called him "Johnny Handsome" because the girls all loved him. They flocked to him like bees to honey.

John always had a weakness when it came to women, he fell as hard for some of them as they did for him. He was never without a girl, never!

In 1995 he had a fight with his girlfriend, she broke up with him, he was drunk and driving home like a maniac, he had a head on collision and was killed, it was suicide says his brother, I don't really know, I wasn't there. I do know I miss him.

Women are powerful creatures indeed. They can destroy us if we don't respect the influence they naturally have over us. I was always a little more pragmatic when it came to women. I loved to love them but always knew when it was time to move on.

Not so with "Johnny Handsome!"

No comments: